Family Law Success
Complex & International Issues
A Full-Service Firm for Individuals.
Independent Global Offices For Cross Border Services
Experienced in Winning with Trans Tasman, Indian or Middle East issues.
Our expertise extends to offshore asset tracing and recovery services as well as issues with children being taken overseas and the extension of our local Australian laws and conventions to custody and access disputes.
- For example, with our office in Dubai and London, we have dealt with many mid-eastern issues concerning children and custody rights according to Sharia Law and in cases of mixed religion marriages.
- From our offices in Auckland and the UAE we regularly handle Trans-Tasman issues as well as complications involving Middle Eastern and Southeast Asian countries.
Goldman Law: Proudly Awarded & Recognised*.
“International Advisory Experts” Award (2020).
“Family Law Firm Of The Year” Award (2017).
Connect with Our "Family Law"
Expert Senior Lawyers
Mr. Jaswinder (Jas) Sekhon
Jaswinder strives to simplify and demystify complex legal matters, to explain them logically and without “jargon”. He resolves and commits to the best possible commercial outcomes for his clients.
Ms. Helena Jane Duckham
Helena Duckham graduated her law degree with honours. She has a Master of Law in applied family law, including binding financial agreements, and a Graduate Diploma in Family Dispute Resolution.
Ms. Zeinab Elzein
Zee is an experienced family lawyer. Her experience ranges from complex property settlement litigation matters to contested children matters, including relocation matters.
Our International Expertise & Clients
Value Our Independence as an International Firm
- BFA’s and prenups involving assets in multiple countries and multiple residences and a family manufacturing office.
- Providing advice to determine which is the most appropriate and beneficial country in which to conduct the case
- Property settlements involving assets and income in various countries,
- Complications involving arranged marriages under Hindu or Sikh matrimonial laws; or
- Arrangements where court actions are brought in two countries.
Our Typical Clients in
Family Law Matters Include
Pre Nups (BFA's)
Why are prenup expert lawyers different?
We have seen some lawyers offer prenup’s for $500? This is obviously based on an absolute misconception with no idea of what they are really doing.
There is a huge misunderstanding in our view about the value of a properly drafted and negotiated pre-nup or post-up.
As specialists in financial and taxation matters, including trusts and cross-border arrangements, prenup’s RA special expertise in our firm.
We typically use prenup’s as part of an asset protection or wealth creation strategy for high net worth clients.
These can be extremely useful but need to be crafted with care otherwise they are a source of liability for lawyers and ineffective for clients.
We prepare prenup’s for those individuals with assets usually exceeding $2 million and up to $100 million. Our expertise extends to assets held by family groups that may span different countries.
Public divorce may have media exposure which the difficult almost unthinkable.
Every step of the family law process is handled with sensitivity and finesse by our experienced legal teams.
We frequently provide end to end solutions from negotiating in mediation to simple divorce or complex parenting/contravention and financial matters.
For special individuals, we provide a complete end to end service and are a full-service law firm with specialist expertise.
The service levels provide unequalled for individuals and their business, legal or personal needs.
Complex & Global
Marriages or legal action commenced in two or more jurisdictions or where assets are located abroad or are not disclosed.
We have experience in conflict of law situations and the location and valuation of business or assets located in difficult overseas jurisdictions.
With offices in Auckland, Dubai and London, outside Australia, international legal matters are our specialty.
Our firm is completely independent so we may work with any group in any country at any time and are not restricted unlike major firms which are almost always operate country by country entities.
With specialist experience working onshore and in most of the worlds offshore jurisdictions, we know where to look if forensic examination is required or we know how to protect.
Our key is a deep understanding of the various jurisdictions across the world where we work and of strong contacts in all other jurisdictions where our clients may operate.
Cross Border Marriages, Assets & Custody
Family Lawyers with International Experience
Where your case involves an international aspect, there are complicating factors which require specialist lawyers with global experience.
Our global expertise and presence allows us to understand and deal with issues relating to the laws that exist in many countries outside Australia and the different basis on which marriages and child disputes are dealt with.
- Coming to Australia? Talk to us before becoming a resident. This is critical advice for you.
- Leaving Australia? Talk to us first to plan your family and tax affairs.
- Living in Australia and Overseas? Our speciality client with over 30 years of experience.
Experience & Trust
With deep local and international expertise for over 30 years.
Growing and protecting successful individuals, family offices and business.
Built through sheer hard work
Complex International Issues FAQ's
- The principal of Goldman lawyers has worked for over 30 years and advising high net worth clients in taxation and finance both with leading tax firms and leading banks in the world.
- Experience is brought to bear with boutique international firm that he started and is rarely available in a boutique that also has a wholly owned international presence.
- We have also been entrepreneurs and launched funds having being mandated by leading commercialisation and government bodies in Australia, major film studios and other IP owners.
- We would be pleased to discuss this with you at any time any obligation free private meeting see whether we may be of assistance now or in the future.
- Structuring and Fundraising: developing structures for attracting retail and capital from high net worth investors private equity funds for various projects involving media, property, hotels, listed indexes, digital finance and digital property, airlines, service companies, mining companies and start-ups, infrastructure projects, structured debt, convertible debt private debt and structured option schemes.
- International taxation: across the gamut of low tax jurisdictions and high tax jurisdictions interaction of arrangements double tax treaties and flows of funds.
- Licensing and distribution: of various goods for wholesale and retail customers including the licensing and development of software and techniques using smart contracts and innovation.
- Jaswinder has direct experience of working and/or living in the British Virgin Islands, Miami, New York, London, Zurich, Hong Kong, Sydney, Shanghai, Auckland and Singapore.
The principal Jaswinder Sekhon is admitted and has a current practising certificates in the following jurisdictions:
- England and Wales
- New Zealand
- Admitted to the Eastern Caribbean court (Non practising)
- Legal Consultant and Will(s) draughtsperson in Dubai
These vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction but as a typical guide for 2023 as follows:
- In Australia they are from A$600 to $800 per hour.
- In the United Kingdom from £350 per hour
- in the Middle East from USD $600 per hour
- in New Zealand from NZD B500 per hour
Rates are of course our negotiable on a matter by matter basis and most estimates are provided with a cap on the hours to be expended for professional fees.
- The above exclude any GST or VAT as applicable
- We have a good synergy with successful individuals who are demanding and require a broad range of skills at a very high level to keep up with their entrepreneurial or globetrotting activities.
- We will generally not act for public listed companies or large corporate groups and generally act against them.
- Our niche market are successful individuals who have varied needs from international taxation, finance, wealth protection and a myriad of commercial acquisitions and investments across the world.
- We also promote work closely with start-ups who may not have the funds to pay required typically available for only from a team of lawyers in international firms.
- Having said that, we are conscious of and clearly state our obligation and pleasure to give back to society and will always look at pro bono/reduced rates for the right activity that may promote change or help disadvantaged persons.
- Lawyers that stifle entrepreneurship and are not versed, do not understand, or are simply too scared of, what is a good commercial outcome.
- Where ego trumps logic to the detriment of the client.
- Where boards of public companies are simply looking for “butt protection” and large insurance policies to justify not doing something, as opposed to advice that engenders leadership.